The Camarada Mission
The mission of CAMARADA is to elevate and enrich the San Diego community and beyond by presenting phenomenal chamber music concerts, while engaging diverse audiences through visionary and educational programming, featuring living composers, commissioning new music, and igniting a powerful connection between the audience, artists and music.
Camarada is dedicated to presenting invigorating performances of musical masterworks. Established in 1994, Camarada concerts share the joy of chamber music by pairing performers of the highest caliber with intimate spaces throughout San Diego. Original founders Beth Ross-Buckley, Ann Chase and Mary Barranger had a vision of concert experiences that are inviting and engaging for audiences. In 2008 Dana Burnett joined Beth Ross-Buckley as Co-Artistic Director continuing this tradition. Both have significant chamber music experience and bring to Camarada a renewed zest for intimate chamber music, collaborating with a variety of artists, commissioning music by American composers and recording projects
OUR VISION IS TO PROVIDE
- A broad and eclectic musical repertoire including fresh interpretations of familiar classics, rediscovered gems, and new works commissioned especially for our audiences.
- A rich and personal artistic experience by combining music with other art forms including dance, visual art, poetry and verse.
- Performances of the highest quality for audiences of all ages and levels of musical sophistication, cultivating a new broad-based community of music lovers.
Specializing in Latin and Spanish music, Camarada has carved out a unique niche in San Diego. Beginning in the fall of 2001, Camarada created and performed its first tango concert for the unique instrumentation and personnel of Camarada. Tango has become an integral part of the Camarada experience, collaborating with dancers and specializing in the music of Astor Piazzolla.
Dedicated to the compositions of living composers, Camarada has commissioned many works specifically for its unique combination of voices and instruments.
- Sanctuary Suite by Peter Sprague for two guitars, flute, bass & percussion
- UNSTOPPABLE by Andrés Martin
- Thelma Blue by Mike Wofford for two flutes, piano, bass, percussion
- Saltwater by Peter Sprague for alto flute & guitar
- The Fallen by Mark O’Connor for solo flute, string quartet, double bass
- The New Rule by John Lorge for flute, cello, piano
- I Am the Wind by David Ward-Steinman for voice, flute, cello, harp
- Critters by John Lorge for woodwind quintet, narrator
- And other commissions and arrangements
Note From Our Artistic Directors
More info coming soon…
We are thrilled to unveil our vision and dreams for this new adventure!
We are all seeking entertainment that both soothes us, entertains us and procures a high frequency experience providing oasis, connection, culture and excitement. Camarada offers boutique cultural experiences with music as the focal point.
The magic of the boutique musical experience is that it is curated with a combination of musical compositions, venue & art. This illuminates the senses, uplifts your spirit and provides deep connections with great music and musicians.
- Beth Ross Buckley & Dana Burnett
Camarada Around San Diego
Music is your passport to getaway!